Competitors for “Miss Erie County Fair” pose on one of our Glide-A-Ride trams in 1981. The Glide-A-Rides were purchased by the Erie County Fair in 1965 and were originally designed for use at the 1964/65 New York’s World’s Fair in Flushing Meadows. This week marks the 50th anniversary of the opening of the New York World’s Fair.
Archive for April, 2014
In 1981 the “Spirit of Youth” was created to provide the County’s youth with a showplace for talent in the areas of music, dance and the theater arts. 19 women & 17 men who were high school juniors and seniors made up the first group. For 19 years, the song- and-dance troupe of students performed at the Fair and at hundreds of events across WNY. The group was directed by Art Tomczak with Ann Mosner providing music direction, choreographing by Lynne Kurdziel and production assistance by Mike Capriotto.
To all our friends getting ready to celebrate Dyngus Day next Monday. In 1966, the Erie County Fair honored Western New York’s Polish Community with “Polish Millennium Day.” The day was chaired by Buffalo Mayor Stephen Pankow and included a special visit and a tour of the grounds by New York State Governor Nelson Rockefeller. Other events included displays of ethnic dancing, a Polish lunch in the clubhouse and a huge polka dance.
Until the early 1920’s the Erie County Fair was held in September which accounts for the long skirts and coats being worn in this 1903 image of the Midway. You can almost smell the scent of pine as the towering, hundred year old trees created a canyon effect. The structure on the left would be moved to a number of different locations on the Fairgrounds and today is known as the Mount Vernon Building located in Slade Park. This postcard has been generously shared by Jimmy Barrett.