Gate One…Welcoming Guests for 93 Years

December 5, 2013. The majestic iron gate located on the eastern end of the Erie County Fair has traditional served as the ceremonial point of entry for visitors. Constructed in the early 1920s, the McKinley Gate is located on part of the original land purchased by the Erie County Agricultural Society in 1881 (although the Fair arrived in Hamburg in 1868; the ECAS did not become owners of the property until the 1880s.) Only twelve acres at the time of purchase, the Fairgrounds has grown to cover over 275 areas. Before 1868, the Fair was held in various location in the City of Buffalo and in the towns of Aurora, Lancaster, Orchard Park, West Seneca and Springville.

11-21throwback2.png