Here There and Everywhere

September 19, 2013. Court House, Lafayette Square (current site of the Central Library). The adjacent land to Lafayette Square in downtown Buffalo figures prominently in the history of the Erie County Fair. The region’s first agricultural society was formed on September 14, 1819 when a group of farmers met in the old Court House and adopted a constitution. The 1841 the Erie County Fair was held in an area just behind the Lafayette Square Court House and in 1855, following a new State law, the Erie County Agricultural Society held a reorganization meeting inside the old Court House. The structure was torn down in 1876 to make way for the original Buffalo Public Library building

throwback1.png